Anzac Day dawn services will return to the Great Southern on Sunday, with crowds once again gathering to pay their respects to those who have served and sacrificed for Australia and New Zealand. Local governments across the region have given the green light for Anzac Day services to resume, despite COVID-19 restrictions forcing the cancellation of some services across the State. “Paying respect is our moral duty to our past and present serving members of the Australian Defence Force on Anzac Day,” Katanning 518 Army Cadet Unit commanding officer Joel Anyon said. “This is a time for us to reflect on all the things we are grateful for and the fact we have people who sacrificed their lives and time to give us what we have now.” Last year, Anzac Day coincided with the height of the pandemic, with restrictions forcing Katanning residents to commemorate those who fought for them through the driveway-at-dawn movement. Mr Anyon said although there was no official mass gathering last year, the isolation allowed people to commemorate the fallen in their own way. The driveway-at-dawn movement took hold across the Great Southern, with the message of remembrance made clear in the streets and on social media. “Last year was a community effort to make it happen, and it made us realise how much the day meant to people even though there was no official service,” Mr Anyon said. This year, official services will resume, but with slight changes to parading. Cadets have not been permitted to take part in the services. The Katanning army cadets will form a catafalque party around Katanning War Memorial at Prosser Park. Katanning’s dawn service, organised by the Lions Club, will be held at the memorial from 5.50am. There will be a gunfire breakfast for a gold coin donation at the Scout Hall on Conroy Street after the service.