Camera IconSteven Mattaboni’s wife has paid tribute to the father-of-two, the day after a fatal shark attack off Rottnest Island. Credit: Supplied

The heartbroken wife of a father killed by a four-metre shark while spearfishing off Rottnest has described him as an “incredible” dad who “lived and breathed the ocean”.

Steven Mattaboni, 38, was in the water with four friends about 1km offshore at Horseshoe Reef — north-west of the island —when the predator, reportedly a great white, attacked just before 10am on Saturday.

Despite frantic attempts by his mates, who administered CPR as they raced him to shore, and St John WA paramedics who were waiting at Geordie Bay, he could not be saved.

Mr Mattaboni’s devastated partner, Shirene, said the northern suburbs man was “a devoted father to our two beautiful daughters” — one who turns three next month and their four-month-old baby.

Camera IconSteven Mattaboni's wife has paid tribute to the father-of-two, the day after a fatal shark attack off Rottnest Island. Credit: supplied
Read more...

“An avid fisherman and spearfisherman, who lived and breathed the ocean, he was always in tune with the sea.

“He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back.

“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”

Ms Mattaboni said the family also extended their “deepest, most sincere gratitude” to the emergency services and first responders who worked so tirelessly to save her husband.

“As we try to navigate this incomprehensible loss and grieve the extraordinary man we loved so much, we respectfully ask the media and the public for privacy during this incredibly difficult time,” she said.

Camera IconSteven Mattaboni's wife has paid tribute to the father-of-two, the day after a fatal shark attack off Rottnest Island. Credit: supplied

In December, the couple celebrated 10 years together, followed by the birth of their second baby girl in January.

The keen fisherman was secretary of spearfishing club Bluewater Freedivers WA.

The club’s website says it aims to promote breathhold spearfishing in a “selective, sustainable and safe way”.

Mr Mattaboni was also a member of Recfishwest’s Spearfishing Equity Working Group, examining how to remove barriers “to ensure equitable management arrangements for spearfishers in areas such as marine parks”.

In addition to family and fishing, football played a big part in Mr Mattaboni’s life.

Kingsley Football Club on Sunday posted a heartfelt tribute to its “premiership player and much-loved friend to many within our club community”.

“Mattas was one of the most genuine people you could meet,” the social media post said.

“He had a smile and presence that could light up a room, and he will be remembered fondly by all who had the privilege of knowing him.

“Our thoughts and love are with his family and friends during this incredibly difficult time, especially his wife Shirene and their two young daughters.

“We encourage our community to wrap their arms around those closest to Mattas and offer support wherever possible.”

Mr Mattaboni had been only 20m from one of the two boats that he and his four friends — all experienced fishermen — had taken out to the reef when he was fatally bitten on his legs.

A police source said it appeared the diver had not been wearing a personal shark deterrent device.

Camera IconSteven Mattaboni, 38, was attacked by a white shark off Rottnest. Credit: supplied

Police said the group of friends who witnessed the horrific attack had tried valiantly to save Mr Mattaboni, dragging him from the water before calling emergency services.

An officer was dropped from a police helicopter at Geordie Bay in a desperate attempt to help paramedics and emergency services try to keep him alive.

Police Minister Reece Whitby on Sunday paid tribute to everyone involved in the “terrible tragedy”, saying his heart and thoughts were with the man’s loved ones.

“It was extremely confronting and devastating,” he said. “I want to acknowledge the diver’s friends, who played a pretty good role in doing the best they could to bring the young diver back to shore.

“There was police involvement, ambulance paramedics and staff from Rottnest Island Authority, who all were engaged in the operation there.

“They all witnessed a very confronting, disturbing and tragic scene and support is being offered to those staff.

“He was someone who loved the ocean and loved diving and it’s just incredibly tragic.”

Mr Whitby said fisheries officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development were patrolling the waters off Rottnest on Sunday.

Asked if the government should revisit shark mitigation methods — such as setting drumlines to capture them — he said it was “a bit early” to be talking about mitigation.

“It’s an enormous tragedy. Support needs to go to that man’s family and the first responders, and I know DPIRD are engaged in patrols off Rottnest as we speak,” he said. “Certainly a priority of the State Government is always to keep people safe, and those matters can be considered at another time.”

Mr Whitby, who is also Minister for Tourism, was confident the tragedy would not deter visitors to Rottnest Island.

“It is one of our most popular tourist destinations — it’s beautiful and people are aware of issues in terms of personal safety,” he said.

“Sharks are there, but you can talk about any location. The ocean is the preserve of these creatures, whether it’s Rottnest Island or Cottesloe Beach or anywhere”.

Camera IconRosslyn Hanlon with Helen Wilson, Neil and Pamela Towers. Credit: Ross Swanborough/The West Australian

One day after the deadly attack, the tragedy was front of mind for tourists at Fremantle’s B-Shed ferry stop who were heading to Rottnest or returning on Sunday.

Gail and Devin Donoghue, visiting family from England, said they would not be swimming during their four-day stay the island.

“It’s just terrible, we really feel for the young man,” Mr Donoghue said. “And it’s something you can’t control, can’t plan for.”

Helen Wilson, along with Neil and Pamela Towers — all in their late 80s and early 90s — drive up from Bunbury for a trip to Rottnest Island twice a year. The group said they had always felt safe swimming at The Basin.

“It’s an awfully scary thing that’s happened,” Mrs Wilson said. “We prefer to swim in the bays where it’s more secluded … but now we certainly won’t be swimming at all.”

Rosslyn Hanlon, a dedicated beachcomber who collects bags of rubbish along every coastline she walks, said there was always a level of caution people needed to take.

Camera IconSteven Mattaboni's wife has paid tribute to the father-of-two, the day after a fatal shark attack off Rottnest Island. Credit: supplied

Hayley Oho was shocked when informed of Saturday’s tragedy. It was her first time heading to Rottnest Island on Sunday morning.

“I will not be swimming, that’s so scary,” she said. “I’ll just stick to the quokkas.”

Jaqui Georgiu and her children were returning from the island at midday on Sunday. Mrs Georgiu said she felt deeply for Mr Mattaboni’s grieving family.

“It’s just awful,” she said. “Yeah, its certainly on your mind when you go out.”

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails